Thursday, April 2, 2020
Home News South Africa Curro rescues Lesufi and takes in unplaced pupils

Curro rescues Lesufi and takes in unplaced pupils

Johannesburg - The Gauteng Education Department (GDE) has been forced to seek help from private schools to ensure that all pupils have space in grades 1 and 8.

SourceThe Star

Johannesburg – The Gauteng Education Department (GDE) has been forced to seek help from private schools to ensure that all pupils have space in grades 1 and 8.

Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi said the admission processes this year were “painful” because of the new regulations and the impact these had on parents.

On Monday, desperate parents of unplaced pupils flocked to GDE offices across the provinces to plead their cases.

In Pretoria on Tuesday, hundreds of disgruntled parents held a meeting at Akasia Hall to call for the dismantling of the online application system, which they said had proven to be a failure after 15000 pupils could not be placed this week.

Meanwhile, Lesufi said on Tuesday that the biggest headache that needed to be resolved was placement in schools that had been approached by the department last year to increase their capacity to accommodate more pupils with either bigger classes or mobile classes.

He said some schools had blatantly refused the offer, resulting in the parents of unplaced pupils being in limbo.

“All those parents who got placements and the schools who refused to take their placement because there was that communication breakdown, we want to assure them (parents) that part will be attended to immediately,” he said.

To mitigate the capacity challenges, the department has approached affordable private schools such as Curro schools to accommodate pupils who were placed and then rejected.

“Curro has indicated they will place all unplaced pupils that we have who can afford to go to these schools,” he said.

Lesufi said the parents would pay fees equivalent to the fees they were going to pay at the public schools their children were originally placed at, and subsequently rejected.

“They would receive a 30% reduction in fees.

“This simply means that if a parent was going to pay R5000 for Parktown Girls, when you take that child to Curro that parent must not pay more than R5000,” he said.

Lesufi said the challenge for the department was that there were schools like Jeppe High School for Girls and Alberton High School that were in high demand, although the schools could only accommodate a certain number of pupils.

Parents who were unhappy about their children’s placement were encouraged to submit appeals. About 700 appeals were processed by the department’s deadline yesterday.

“Some of the appeals have been upheld, but I must emphasise that the majority were unfortunately not upheld but we will continue to place those children in schools that have vacancies,” he said.

Lesufi also reluctantly announced that the late registration process opened today until January 24.

He added that parents who had applied on time but were dissatisfied with their child’s placement must still accept the offer, otherwise the space would be offered to a late registration pupil.

According to the department, there were 912 primary schools and 374 high schools with space available for late applications.

“By the end of January we will have placed all late registration pupils because with late registration there is not a question of choice, we are opening where there is space, you apply and you’re placed,” he said.

This morning Lesufi and Premier David Makhura will officiate the reopening of schools with an official handover of the new Noordgesig Primary School in ­Diepkloof.

Social Links

58,005FansLike
30FollowersFollow
226SubscribersSubscribe

Most Popular

No, cigarettes are not essential during lockdown, say police

Police stubbed out rumours swirling online on Sunday evening that government had  backtracked on its decision to ban the sale of cigarettes...

EFF: Disgusted by ‘exploitative’ Johann Rupert ‘donations’ towards COVID-19

The EFF has fired back today at the South African government from the R1 billion “donation” that had been received from Johann...

Coronavirus claims life of decorated scientist Professor Gita Ramjee

The coronavirus has claimed the life of an influential, decorated and award-winning South African scientist.The Aurum Institute said...

JUST IN – Moody’s cuts South Africa’s credit rating to junk

Rating agency Moody's has cut South Africa's sovereign credit rating to subinvestment grade, meaning the country now has a junk rating from...

LASTEST NEWS

MUST READ – What is SA’s real Covid-19 numbers, is 1380 a lie, or...

0
There is something very peculiar about SA’s Covid-19 numbers.From March 21 to March 24, there were 352 new...

EFF: Disgusted by ‘exploitative’ Johann Rupert ‘donations’ towards COVID-19

0
The EFF has fired back today at the South African government from the R1 billion “donation” that had been received from Johann...

No, cigarettes are not essential during lockdown, say police

0
Police stubbed out rumours swirling online on Sunday evening that government had  backtracked on its decision to ban the sale of cigarettes...

Coronavirus claims life of decorated scientist Professor Gita Ramjee

0
The coronavirus has claimed the life of an influential, decorated and award-winning South African scientist.The Aurum Institute said...

South African employees shouldn’t use annual leave during coronavirus lockdown: department of labour

0
All employees in South Africa are entitled to leave provisions as set out in the Basic Conditions of Employment Act (BCEA) –...

Slow internet speeds in South Africa due to cable break

0
There has been a break on the WACS (West Africa Cable System) undersea cable which is affecting Internet connectivity in South Africa.

JUST IN – Moody’s cuts South Africa’s credit rating to junk

0
Rating agency Moody's has cut South Africa's sovereign credit rating to subinvestment grade, meaning the country now has a junk rating from...

BREAKING – Ramaphosa announces 21 day lock down – All you need to know

0
President Cyril Ramaphosa has announced a drastic new measure to combat the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus in South Africa – a...

East London Covid-19 woman breaks quarantine

0
The provincial government is scrambling to quarantine Eastern Cape's Covid-19 patient one, who has been roaming around East London in defiance of...

BREAKING – SANDF out in Craighall ahead of Cyril Ramaphosa’s address tonight.

0
SANDF members in Rosebank. Arrived by bus ahead of Cyril Ramaphosa's address tonight. This is a developing story, we will update...

BREAKING – South Africa now has 402 confirmed cases of Covid-19

0
South Africa now has 402 confirmed cases of Covid-19. This means there has been an increase of 128 from Sunday’s announcement....

South African army officially preparing for coronavirus deployment: report

0
South Africa’s army is readying troops to help the police curb the spread of coronavirus, one of a series of measures President...

1 million people could contract Covid-19 in 40 days in SA according to Researchers

0
JOHANNESBURG/CAPE TOWN – A team of researchers is warning that one million South Africans could contract COVID-19 within the next 40 days unless government...

EFF: “Free DSTv, free data, free electricity, No rent, rates, and bonds for 4...

0
EFF Commissar, Mbuyiseni Ndlozi made a statement on Twitter that South Africans should not have to pay rent, rates, electricity, water, and...

Bad news about coronavirus outbreak in South Africa

0
New research shows that high temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce the transmission of COVID-19 (coronavirus), while colder weather has the opposite...